Saturday 28 May 2011

Equal Rights For Tow Truck Drivers!!

It seems that we tow truck drivers are missing out on the equality stakes. We are the only truck drivers in Queensland that are REQUIRED to work a twelve hour day. We are also the only truck drivers that receive an hourly rate that is UNDER the award wage. There is something drastically wrong here.

I shall clarify.....

I am out of bed at 5am, in the truck and logged on at 6:45am. I then work an unspecified number of hours, usually 7 or more, then have an unpaid half hour break. Then work until 7pm when I log off, hopefully at the base by then, if not, I have to get back to base sometimes up to a half hour late then log off and go home. I usually get home around 7:30pm unless I'm late logging off.
In that day I can do anything between 200 to 300 kilometers around Brisbane. I know that after 8 hours behind the wheel my concentration levels plummet. After 3 o'clock I have more close calls, near hits and plain bonehead mistakes than at any other time during the day.

Something has to be done about this. Now I don't know about you, but I really don't want some tired old bogan in 7 tonnes of tow truck barrelling around the streets of Brisbane while they're half asleep. It's just plain stupid when they can easily run two 8 hour shifts per day instead of having some guys working 10am untill 10pm and others working 6am untill 6pm. They could run one shift from 6am untill 2pm another from 2pm until 10pm. It's not rocket science.

And what's with the under award wage?? We are getting ripped off. If you look at what other truck drivers of the same size get, we should be on around $23.00 per hour not $18.00.

Having said all that, the companies are not interested in looking after their workers, it's all about the bottom line. How do they sleep easily knowing that they are working their drivers to death, or nervous breakdowns. I can't even afford the deposit on a cheap house, but my boss just bought a new one didn't he, and it isn't a cheap one either.

How about saving the sanity of the poor tow tow truck drivers people?? Maybe when one of us snaps and takes your car and tips it into the Brisbane River, huh? Maybe then people will take notice of us??

Oh well. That's my rant for today. Maybe I should approach the Union? Oh, that's right, I forgot! The Union is a powerless bunch of corrupt assholes more interested in protecting their own power base, than looking after the workers they're supposed to represent. What a load of crap!

See you 'round like a doughnut.

The Tow Truck Guy.

1 comment: